Tuesday, April 1, 2008

More Animals & Tortillas

I thought once I got back to the base my adventures with strange animals would end. That has not been the case. I have had many more encounters. I had a scorpion in my room and there were three of us chasing it around with a stick. The next day there was a snake in the clinic, so we grabbed the stick now splattered with blood from the scorpion to kill the snake. The snake was not that big or scary but we did not know if it was poisonous or not. A few days after that, a bat flew within inches of my head. And I am now sick with parasites of an unknown origin. Rebekah calls me a present day Snow White.

This past week was fairly leisurely. All the students at the base left for vacation week and the patients were scarce. I did help with one minor surgery on the removal of a fibroid of some sort on an elderly lady’s elbow. She is supposed to come back this week for the removal of the other side. Several people are starting to come in to help for Laura’s wedding. Part of the team left yesterday for a place called Chiapas to do a mini ministry outreach. We are planning a trip into a close by village for April 6th-8th and I will be in charge of pharmacy by myself this time. At the end of the week I will be doing inventory and medication purchasing.

The highlight of my weekend was going to the Delilah’s house were we made homemade corn tortillas, tostadas, tamales, and cheese. They were laughing at me because it took me like 10 minutes to make one tortilla and then I would have to rest in the hammock for 10 minutes. By the end of making tortillas I was dripping with sweat. We then went to the river and cooled off. It was a wonderful fiesta full of food, fun, and friends.


Here I am making tortillas by hand and the placing them over the claypit oven!

Speaking of friends, I am so thankful that my friend Elisabeth is here. We have talked numerous times about how God really orchestrated this time. Before even knowing that Laura was getting married and leaving for four months or knowing the plans of each other, God directed our steps. His provision amazes me. Laura is so thankful to have nurses to help cover the clinic when she is gone. Elisabeth and I are so thankful to have a good friend to work together with and have fun with. She is such a blessing!

Here is a picture of Elisabeth and I shopping at the market for ingredients for rosemary & garlic potatoes!


Prayer request for this next week: health in my body, preparation and safety for the next village trip, wedding plans to go smoothly, money for medications to come in, and the hearts of the people that will be hearing the gospel. I really want to remember the 18 people who dedicated their lives to Christ and continue to pray for their discipleship.
Last night in the worship service, I was reminded of the faithfulness of God. He is my rock in whom I take refuge.
~Psalm 18:1-2
I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold

5 comments:

coffeegirl said...

Wow, Sarah, it's sounds like you are going through a lot right now. I will pray for your and your ministry. Keep the updates coming, I love reading them.
Love,
Melissa :o)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
It sounds like you are having some incredible experiences in Mexico. Praise God for the people who have come to know the Lord. That's amazing. I will continue to pray for those people as well as you. Hope you get to feeling better soon!! Miss you,
Kelly D.

Chuck and Julie said...

sarah~thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life. You are such an inspiration to me! I love reading your blog! I leave for Africa in 11 days! God has met all of my financial needs~and he started with you!! I love you girl!!

For His Fame~Julie

Anonymous said...

hey sarah girl - way to go missionary! you look so cute in these photos! i love the market pic! I am leaving for New Zealand with Elaine in 4 days... I love you and will pray for healing in your body - get out parasite in Jesus' Name!

Anonymous said...

Sarah...I could not stop laughing while reading your blog! For some reason, I could see you running around chasing snakes and scorpions with a stick! I am so excited for you. Despite the conditions, you are doing a great job and truly living life and experiencing the fullness of Christ. Hang in there and keep His will and purpose in the forefront of your mind. You and our new brothers and sisters are in my prayers. Continue expanding our family. Love you, miss you.