Saturday, March 22, 2008

Back from the mountains….

We were in the mountains this past week in Oaxaca, Mexico. We went to three different villages. Not the villages we had planned to go into. All three villages we planned on doing medical outreaches did not allow us to enter in because of the political turmoil there and because we were protestant Christians. The Catholicism here in Oaxaco is mixed with a lot of witchcraft and superstition. There is a lot of fear of Americans and Christians in general. It is a very dark place and the people are fearful and violent. The place that we stayed at is in a village called El Mosco.
So, in El Mosco there are various animals; dogs, wild donkey, cows, mosquitoes, crazy dogs, and ravenous rats. Let me tell you about the crazy dogs. I counted eight dogs begging for food at one time. They all stare you down and act like they are going to bite you if you don’t share your food with them. The donkey made this hideous noise that startled me every time. The cows would run in front of the cars. The mosquitoes would attack you day and night. The building we stayed in is somewhat invested with rats. The rats got into the medications by eating through the plastic box. They also ate the cap of a water bottle that belonged to one of the doctors. I heard that on the last trip one of the cooks got bitten and another lady had a rat crawl over her face in the middle of the night. Therefore, I was afraid of sleeping on the cement floor where rats rule. The first 2 nights I slept in the back of a truck with a spare tire and piles of dust. I had a sore throat after that and decided to sleep in the cab the next night. That night my back and neck hurt so badly and my legs were cramped up all night. Finally I decided to live by faith and stay in the room with all the other girls. And I survived the rats.
Let me tell you about the bathrooms. So this year there were less peep wholes for the kids to peak in on you while you were taking a shower or going to the restroom. You can practically take a shower and go to the restroom at the same time. But this out house is awesome compared to cement hole in the ground at the other houses covered with maggots and flies.
The kids have become more loving and less violent over the years. It was so much fun playing with them and seeing them begin to be more open to us. The Mixteco culture is very harsh and violent. You can tell the kids are starving for love. As playing with the children, I was thinking …this is the next generation of Mixteco people and if we continue to come to these mountains and share the love of Christ, change has to take place because Gods word does not return to Him void.

Here is a little girl peeking in the buliding watching clinic with curosity!

This little boy is named Martine....He is a wild little boy that roams around looking for what kind of trouble he can get into. He has a big smile. He will sweetly hug you and then the next moment punch you and kick you! The sweet moments with him touched my heart.

I have been on several of these trips in the past but this one was different for me.
The trip felt like I was truely suffering and I had not felt this way on any prior trips. It was hard work and extreme living conditions. I had no energy and felt exhausted. I learned what the word persevere means. I was learning to be in charge of the pharmacy and what all that entails. Pharmacy includes tedious, repetitive, and non-relational work. I was also frustrated because I did not know the language and I did not have an extreme compassion in my heart to serve or joy in doing it. The work felt like work. But, I know the work I was doing made it able for the natives to minister more effectively in that region. They are the ones to continue the work and disciple the people. So it brings me much joy to know my bagging, labeling, and organizing medicine made an open door for Pastor Florentino, Maricella, and Carmella (native mixteco missionaries) to share the gospel. The door in these regions are either closed or cracked open. Bringing medical care to the Mixtecos has paved the way for the native evangelist to build relationships.
The plowing is a difficult task. I realized I want quick and easy results and I want to be part in the relationship building. The labor on the field is not always just seeing the ripe fruits and picking them but it is also sweating while you till the ground and continue to plow on through and hope for fruit to come.
Here is LeAnn and I working in the mobile pharmacy. She is teaching me how to take over when she leaves in April. What a job! She impresses me with her detailed and caring medication administration.

In El Mosco one person gave their life to Christ. In Chinniuba, 10 people made a decision for Christ and 7 in Ixtayutla. Thank you Jesus!!!
~So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only Godwho gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God’s fellow workers. You are God’s field, God’s building. 1 Corinthians 3:7-9



I had so much the last night playing with the little girls who used to be so shy but are now willing to come up to us and play until we have to send them home. (they still don't sill in pictures :) )

9 comments:

Amy Marable said...

Sarah! Wow, thank you for all you are doing! Jesus' name is being proclaimed! How awesome is that? I am praying for you!!!
We miss you at work!!!!
love, amy :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I feel so blessed to be a part of your experience through reading your blog. thank you for sharing your experiences with us! I was humbled as I read your heart for the lost. You inspire and encourage fellow believers-- you go girl !!! I will pray that you are strengthened, safe and encouraged as you continue joining God in His work.

love,
Kim

sarah cooper said...

hey just seeing if coments now get sent to my email! Email me coments guys :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I'm so proud of you!:) You will be richly blessed for reaching out to the unlovely of the world.

Remember: All things are possible through Christ.

You will plant many seeds while you are there. God will send others to water and finally others to harvest. You may or may not be part of the latter two groups, but you will have tilled the ground and planted the seeds and loved like Christ loves. With that you will have done what you are suppose to do for the kingdom.

I love you,

Aunt Cindy

Anonymous said...

Sarah !!!!!

It's Kevin !!!! We miss you but it seems that your work is of the Lord's. Come home quickly but just think how boring it will be not fighting rats and having a real bathroom !!! Hang in there and write me.

Much love
Kevin !!!!

Anonymous said...

oh baby! I miss u times ten. I am glad you are having the time of your life. Doesn't life more simple and seem to make sense when you are out there serving and living in the moment. Looks like you are doing that. I love you sar bear. Things here are good. Mikey is here and liz said yes to marrying him. Hmm what else. boo is still ugly and crystal is still a wild animal. As for me, well I am as sneaky as ever. I love you sarah - shannon

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
It is so exciting to hear about your work! I'm proud of your surrender to God's will and I know He will work mightily through you. Thanks for the blog and allowing all of us to share in your experiences.
Holly Oliver

Anonymous said...

HEY SARAH!!!

Wow, it is so great to here from you. Your stories always make me laugh and I feel like you are here with us telling us all your adventures!!. What an amazing woman you are and I know that you are touching many people through your words, smiles, and tender heart. Thank you for your sacrifice. I love you

Erin Hammonds

Hammonds Family said...

Hey Sarah..
Just got done reading your updates. Cant wait to see you. We all miss you tons.

Love

Erin Hammonds