Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Arroyo Triste~Let it Rain

I experienced new things on the trip in the mountain village named Arroyo Triste. The village of about 20 people was beautiful. I had never been in a village were it was so green and pleasant. The atmosphere was very peaceful and quiet. The people were very hospitable and friendly. The team was made up of eleven members including; three doctors, three nurses, one paramedic, a translator, a driver, and a cook. We had a church service the first night and Dr. Ross gave the wonderful message. We saw 67 patients from Arroyo Triste and surrounding villages. The second day we saw about 20 patients. The natives that come to do spiritual care did an awesome job. Four people dedicated their lives to the Lord. Praise God! We weren’t as busy as the previous trips I have been on but it was more enjoyable.
One of the new things I experienced in Mexico was RAIN. Yes it rained one morning and the climate was so nice. I also learned new bathroom tricks that I had never utilized before. I was also in charge of the pharmacy. The people in this village spoke Spanish, which was really exciting because we could converse more easily. I felt like the clinic went very smoothly. We all slept in the church, with a tarp dividing the room. I slept on two wooden benches put together. After the two nights, I was looking forward to my air mattress on the cot. Here I am working hard in the pharmacy and Ralph assisting by counting medications!

We handed out toothbrushes to everyone and some candy. (Oxymoron huh) Little cutie excited about her toothbrush!!!

I feel in love with this little girl named Reina, which means “queen” in Spanish. She was 7 years old and had an obvious heart defect. You could feel the murmur by laying your hand on her chest. Her little body was frail and her fingers and toes were clubbing due to the lack of oxygen. She had such a sweet smile and kindness in her eyes. I prayed over her asking God to heal her heart and as I finished she said amen with us. How precious!

This is a picture of me and Reina!!!

This weekend, Laura (the leader of the clinic) is getting married and leaving until August. Many other American missionaries are leaving. Elisabeth and I will be taking more responsibility over the clinic and outreaches. We will have two doctors staying on the base as well. So the end of this week will be busy with wedding plans and lasagna making. There are about 400 guests coming. I am helping make food for the rehearsal dinner, which seats 60.
Prayer Request:
The grace for the transition of more responsibility
Laura and David as they become one
Finances for the clinic
Me to learn Spanish more quickly

Thanks to God for His answers to Prayer:
No more parasites
A smooth running pharmacy
Salvations
Thank you for your prayers and comments they truly bless me ~

2 comments:

Chuck and Julie said...

sarah- i love your blog! you are such a blessing to me! i miss you soo much!

coffeegirl said...

Sarah- God bless your ministry there, how awesome that you are using your nursing skills to bring the gospel to these people. Praying for you!