Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mi Madre en Amuzgos

Yes, I am finally writing a new blog entry. The past three weeks in May have flown by so quickly. I didn’t write for a while because I did not have any cool pictures or stories. For about the first two weeks of May we had basic clinic consultations, planning, prayer, and administrative meetings. Then this past week everything exploded with business and excitement. We just had a team of Koreans from New Life church come this past week. We did medical out reaches outreaches to the surrounding villages. But before I expound on the outreach trip, let me tell you the story of the weekend trip of adventures in Amuzgos.
Elisabeth and I got an invitation to go home for the weekend with one of the young ladies that works in the office at the base. Her name is Socorro. She is from a village called Amuzgos which is about three hours away from the base. The entire weekend was full on new experiences and adventure. It all started by waking up at
440am on Saturday morning to catch a bus ride. In the two hour bus ride while all three of us were asleep the driver decided to surprise us with blaring 70’s music. It was in English. Things like”Y-M-C-A” at 5 in the morning. It was hilarious. Then we caught a pasajera for a 45 min drive. A pasajera is one of those trucks that are open in the back with benches of people hanging on in the back. Then we finally made it there in a taxi for the last stretch.
The Almuzgo people really know how to celebrate mother’s day. Here in Mexico, mother’s day is on Saturday. That night after Soco’s mom gave us tons of food to eat, we went to the town square were they had dancing and live music for all the mothers. They had streamers and balloons decorating the town square. Then at the end of the celebration, people handed out buckets as gifts to all the mothers. Soco’s mother of course made sure her guest received a bucket, even though neither of us are mothers. Then we walked to several homes of Soco’s relatives and got offered more cake. The music for mother’s day celebration continued until 4 am and was heard very clearly outside the room Elisabeth and I slept in.
The next day we went to another fiesta, a quinceaniera. This was a birthday party for the pastor in Amuzgo’s daughter. She turned 15. They killed an entire cow to have barbecoa, which is Mexican style barbeque. They had like 10 cakes and who knows how much soda. It was a fiesta for sure. Soco’s mom continued to make sure we got soda and ice cream and as much food as we could stuff into out stomachs.
Then when were finished with that fiesta we went back to Soco’s house were here mother decided that Elisabeth and I were now here daughters and we need to look the part. She brought two hand-embroidered shirts and put the over our heads on each of us as a gift. Then she started fixing Elisabeth’s hair. Elisabeth said she saw her coming with a comb and oil dripping from her hands. Suddenly she poured the oil onto Elisabeth’s hair and braided her hair into two pig tails. She then cam and did the same to me. We were now her daughters. Soco was a little embarrassed and explained to her mom that we do not put baby oil in our hair like they do. It was hilarious.
Their family really blessed me. They we full of love and hospitality. They were so excited to invite us into their homes. The family had come to Christ within the last 10 years. Her dad took us to their old house which was falling apart as was their family before Christ changed it all. Her dad used to be an alcoholic and they lost all they had. He then gave his life to the Lord and each family member proceeded. They now have a nice Mexican house and her sister owns an internet café in the downstairs rooms. They we so proud of what the Lord had done and now want to rebuild the old house and land to be used for the ministry. Seeing their hospitality and thankfulness impressed me. Their new house was nice for a Mexican village but of course it did not have running water or air conditioning. It was also still the bucket shower and bucket toilet system. But they had beds and electricity and several rooms. I realized how much us Americans have to be thankful for. Their thankful hearts are a sweet aroma unto their provider, our Lord. As a child, I was so embarrassed to have friends come over because our house was messy and under construction. I now know how blessed I truly was. I mean we had running water, electricity, shower, and toilet. I wan to have more of a thankful heart and a heart of hospitality. So my new sergeant mom or mi madre and her family truly blessed me.


here is a picture of Me, Socco, Veronica(socco's sister) and their dad dreaming about the restoration of their old home and land.



This picture is Me and Elisabeth with our new madre, we are like her little girls!!




Here is a picture of me with my new greasy hair-do and traditional blouse!



After the weekend of advendure, we had moble clinic outreaches and New Life church put on VBS for the children . We had a good time this past week and many people came to know the Lord. I don't remeber exact numbers but I want to say aroung 15-20.


Here is a picture of the kids and the team playing a game.





I had several helpers in the pharmacy. The team was made up of one dentist, pre-med, pre-dental, and nursing students. I really enjoyed teaching them about medications and nursing. They were also so eager to learn. Here is a picture of the denist pulling out teeth. It was fun having his vibrant persnality around. Their are a lot more people in Oaxaca, Mexico with less teeth now.

Well this weekend we have been busy shopping and organizing for the next outreach. It has been crazy around here. We had a new team come in today and then the ORU mssions team has been here, and John is on his way as we speak. We will be taking over 30 people into the mountains to the Ixtuytla regin for four days. This will be the largest team I have every been to the mountains with. We will be doing medical outreach, construction, and childrens ministry. I of course will be leading the pharmacy :). This is the last trip up to this region before rainy season starts. In fact the roads might be a little challenging already.

So here goes my prayer requests:

~Safe travel up and down the mountains

~ John to arrive here safely and return safely oh and be blessed(His flight was cancelled today)

~Unity of the team

~The hearts of the Ixtuyutlta people to be open to God's word and the advancement of His kingdom

~Supernatural energy for those who are doing back to back outreaches

Praise Reports:

~FINACES for all the medications came in
~More salvations
~Spending time with Soco's family
~John coming here to visit and serve the Lord here
~The outreahes going well nd God protecting our teams


Please coment if you read this. I enjoy reading them all!

PSALM 44:8

In God have we made our boast all the day long,
And we will give thanks unto thy name for ever.
Selah

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, I get to be the first to comment! It is 12:50 A.M. here in Washington and I just got home from work...
And I am so deighted to read your blog. I am pleased, and a little jealous! but I must say, this is the kind of experience I expected for you. I love the picture of you with the pharmacy.. you are smiling and so pretty! And I am more than content!

Oh, by the way, I am doing well. I am happy to be back to work!

Angie and Berna are coming out in July. Eddie is at the river now...and I have got to get to bed. Gnight!
Leeann

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about the love Soco's mom poured out to you and Elisabeth. How amazing to see the love of the Lord through her and her family. I really like the traditional shirt she gave you! It's beautiful!
Thank you for writing this blog because it ministered to my heart and reminded me to be thankful and rejoice in all circumstances.
I will be praying for you as you travel with your team into the mountains.
Love,
Emily

coffeegirl said...

Always praying for you my dear friend Sarah, and I also love reading your blogs. It is such a blessing and encouragement. I'm sitting on the couch right now, sipping coffee with the windows open listening to the bird's chirp while Kayla sits next to me on the couch trying to touch the keyboard! I also am a little jelous that you are serving the Lord in such an awesome capacity right now. However, your blog was about contentment, so as the Lord as me smack in the middle of the midwest I will be content serving where he has me for now. love you, Melissa

Amy Marable said...

Sarah,
what an awesome story! You looked beautiful (oily hair and all)...God is doing so much through you. It really blesses my heart. I wish i could be there! Will continue to be praying for you. Look forward to hearing how the trip to the mountains goes!
love you!
amy :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Aunt Cindy here. I love reading your blogs. It's great to see how God is working in your life. I know this is a great experience for you, but will be glad when you're home again. I will be going to Rachel's shower next weekend. Also am getting Rebekah's room ready at my house for her to move in next month. I'm hoping to see you more often once you get home. I want to hear all of your stories and experiences!

We're praying for you and are very proud of you!

Love,

Aunt Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!!

So glad to finally read your blog. It's been a little busy around here...Parker is now officially a one year old:)!

It's so good to hear how well you're doing, and to get such a cool picture of how God is blessing you and using you. Loved the oily do... :). What a sweet mom. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

We'll be praying for your trip into the mountains, that the roads and the rain would hold off until you guys make it back. Enjoy the warm weather, and all that God holds for you as you continue on this great adventure!

We love you Sarah!! Hope to see you soon.
Mitchel, Amber, and Parker

coffeegirl said...

Ok Sarbear, Just checking in on you and don't see any new blogs! Get to it! Hope everything is ok.